John A. Wilson Building
Shalom Baranes Associates Architects
Location & Year
Washington, D.C., 1998
The John A. Wilson Building, which houses the offices and chambers of the Council and the Mayor of the District of Columbia, is located at 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. The project entailed the complete renovation and restoration of the historical 1908 District Building and a small infill addition. Renovations were done while retaining and respecting the historical character of the original lobbies and Council chambers. Restoration of the exterior granite and marble façade and columns revealed the beauty of the original materials and the grandeur of the stately classical design.